Friday, 28 September 2012 17:19
Yesterday, Joomla! 3.0 has been launched. This is a special new release, it's Mobile Ready, and it has a quantum leap of improvements. For example JQuery is natively supported.
The current Joomla! 2.5 is a Long Term Support version (3 years / spring 2014). Joomla! 3.0 is not a LTS. It's an intermediate version to be ready for the next LTS version (3.5). In 6 months, Joomla 3.1 will be released, to upgrade Joomla 3.0.
Joomla! 3.0 is mainly oriented for Early Adopters or developers (to prepare the extension for the next LTS).
New extensions ready for Joomla! 3
This new version is giving us the perfect opportunity to re-think our products. We are adding the new exciting features and big improvements based on your feedback.
Please, follow us to receive our news, our plan is to update as soon as possible.
FAQ - Should I update from 2.5?
In most cases, probably not .... more.
FAQ - I have a 2.5 site and I see a that the Joomla update manager lets me upgrade to 3.0; should I do it since it’s letting me?
Not unless you’re 1000% sure. By default, Joomla will not let you update to 3.0 unless you activate the option .... more.
FAQ - Is your server ready for Joomla! 3?
It requires PHP 5.3.1 or newer. You can check it with Upgrade Check Application.
- Fully Responsive Site Template
- Fully Responsive Admin UI
- Fully Responsive Core Output
- New User Friendly Interface
- Streamlined 30 Second Install
- Refined Admin User Experience
- Build a Component with Zero CSS
- Style a Site with 1 CSS File
- Icomoon Font Icon Library
- jQuery & Mootools Ready
And A Whole Lot More
- Incorporation of Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive administrator template Isis and interface.
- A new frontend template Protostar built using Bootstrap and updated accessible template called Beez3
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS